(Photo by Viktor Davare)
Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014
Time: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Location: Maritime Heritage Centre
Fun for the whole family! This year’s theme is “The Next Generation”.
$5 per person/$10 per family/MARS members get in free
Some of the day’s activities include: face painting by Connie Schaad, Kid’s Zone activities, PHOTO CONTEST, door prizes throughout the day, live birds of prey with MARS and Pacific Northwest Raptors, taxidermy by Steve Howard, a drum making demonstration, Done Creative T-shirts, and environmental displays such as Gerry Powers OWLS of BC and Strathcona Wilderness Institute.
- Dr. Victoria Bowes, Avian Pathologist with BC Animal Health Lab
- Trudy Chatwin, Provincial Endangered Species Biologist
- Wendy Kotilla – 10 Years with Youth and Ecological Restoration program
- Miss Sarah Rebitt “Don’t Fall out of the Nest” Huband School ICan Project
Refreshments provided by Gourmet Girls.
(We encourage everyone to bring their own cups and mugs to this event in order to help us to be a Green Event and remember to reduce, reuse and recycle.)
We will also be asking for guests to submit their name choice for the new MARS Mascot.
All proceeds benefit MARS – “Helping Wildlife Recover”
Show off your photography skills while supporting MARS with the work of rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife. Enter your best photos of birds and other Vancouver Island wildlife for a chance to win some exciting prizes! There will be two age categories:
- Youth – 13 and under – $5.00 per photo
- Adult – 14 and over – $10.00 per photo
Submit your native wildlife and bird photos to email@example.com or drop off your photos on a memory stick or CD to Photo Tech foto source at #110 1260 Shoppers Row in Campbell River. (Phone #: 250-286-1233)
Contestants may keep their 8×10 photo but will be asked to sign a release to allow MARS to use their image in future fundraising events and publications, including Facebook and the website.
Deadline for the photography contest is Feb. 19th at 5:00pm!
Prizes for the winners of pictures featuring native wildlife, compliments of Photo Tech, are:
Youth (13 and under) category:
- First place – 16”x20” mounted print
- Second place – Print on T-shirt
- Third place – LowePro Camera Bag
Adult (14 and over) category:
- First place – 11” x 20” Canvas Print
- Second place – Picture on 8”x10” plaque
- Third place – Print on T-Shirt
Judge’s Choice Awards:
- Print on T-shirt
- May be featured in next year’s poster
The winners will be chosen by popular vote. Festival participants can cast their ballots at the MARS booth to vote for their favourite photos in each of the two categories. An additional “Judge’s Choice” photograph will be selected by a panel of judges. The winner of this award will also be invited to attend the release of a raptor.
Sponsored by BCHydro, 97.3 FM the Eagle Radio, Photo Tech foto source, Heron’s Landing, Interfor, and the City of Campbell River.